Monday, April 6, 2009

The Do It Yourself Investment Disaster

One of my favorite channels is HGTV. The shows create a false sense of security and gives me the confidence I need to really screw up a home project.  DIY investing is no different.  I spoke to one of my clients today that wanted a bond quote and was disappointed that he couldn't find the ticker symbol for the bond.  Well, there isn't one.  This guy is so ignorant about the credit markets, I didn't know where to begin.  It reminds me of the time that I tried to do a bathroom remodel in our master bath.  I bought the counter top, the mirror, the new light fixture, etc.  When I started installing the items, I ran into those unforeseen and unexpected roadblocks that occur in all remodels.  You know what I'm talking about.  For example, the new counter top had 2 sinks (a feature my wife desired), but there was only one drain.  After I ran into about 3 more of those roadblocks, i decided to call a plumber - 3 hours and $500 later, he had everything installed correctly without leaks.  I learned then that the money spent was well worth it.  When I got home from work, the bathroom was operating properly.  I peeked down below to ascertain how the plumber managed to construct the pipes, drains, etc.  I was impressed.  I neither had the equipment or the know how to accomplish what I was staring at. In short, I needed a professional because I didn't know what I didn't know.  My client is no different.  I shook my head in a very silent but condescending way over the phone in response to his ignorance.  My hope is that he will look to me to guide him in his investments and continue to pay my fee.  I wonder how many professionals and tradesmen have laughed at me after they got off the phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment